Friday, June 22, 2007

Oscar Wilde

Oscar Wilde is one of the few authors we have studied that I remember reading in high school. In 12th grade we read "The Importance of Being Earnest". Even then, Wilde intrigued me with this story of twists and turns. However, after reading his selections this time, I was drawn to "Preface to The Picture of Dorian Gray".

In this passage we find a very familiar phrase: "art for art's sake". This is something I have heard before, but it never had much meaning. After reading Wilde's preface, it has taken new meaning. He seems to be saying that art should be used solely for appreciation. We should not try to extract morals, lessons, or social functions from artistry. We should take it for what it is. I think the following lines help to justify this thought:
"All art is at once surface and symbol./ Those who go beneath the surface do so at their peril./ Those who read the symbol do so at their peril."

However, Wilde is not saying that we should not form opinions about art. The artist creates a work of art, and that's it. Viewers help define what this art is by expressing what they think. So, in this case, the viewer or critic is not secondary. Without the critic there is no artist. Wilde alludes to the fact that art is completely objective. We are all allowed to have our own feelings and interpretations regarding a work of art:
"It is the spectator, and not life, that art really mirrors./ Diversity of opinion about a work of art shows that the work is new, complex, and vital."

Though he thinks people should form their own opinions regarding a work of art, Wilde does offer this warning to spectators:
"Those who find ugly meanings in beautiful things are corrupt without being charming. This is a fault./ Those who find beautiful meanings in beautiful things are the cultivated. For these there is hope."
I think Wilde is saying that those who find ugly meanings are missing the point. These are the people who are trying to create morals instead of just taking the art for what it is. Wilde says these people are at fault. However, those who find beautiful meanings have hope. They are not necessarily completely correct, but they are on the right track.

I found this to be an interesting passage. I never thought of the viewer's role as so important. Most times it seems that the artist has a purpose and that is what you are trying to uncover. I like Wilde's notion that viewers also help define the art and are not just secondary sources.

5 comments:

Jay Hood said...

Wilde is indeed a very interesting person, and I also read some of his work in high school. While I'm personally not a fan of Wilde's plays or poetry, I do like "The Picture of Dorian Gray." You talk about beautiful and ugly meanings. What do you mean by that, how do you define the ugly and beautiful meanings?

Jonathan.Glance said...

Kelly,

Very good explication of Wilde's "Preface"--his manifesto on art. You effectively present your insights and do a good job of connecting them to the text.

Rharper said...

This blog was very interesting to me. There was definitely a lot of support for you opinion. One thing that I got from this poem is that maybe people really read into things more then they should. I believe he maybe criticizing those who form opinions just for the reason of going against the grain.

mbfertig said...

Kelly,
I really enjoyed reading your thought on Wilde's Preface. I had also read his plays in high school, but I hate to say I was not such a fan! I was however drawn to the same piece you were and found Wilde's thoughts to be very interesting. I thought he displayed a great picture of how society was during this time. I loved how you touched on his idea of "art for arts sake". I agree that Wilde was trying to express that Art does not always need a greater meaning or purpose to it, sometimes it is simply for aesthetic value. But how do statements like this compare with other writers who prize complexity and inner meanings in their works?

Adamssd said...

I like art without an obvious meaning. It's more creative for the viewers to discuss what they think it means rather than accept what the artist says it means.