Saturday, June 23, 2007

William Butler Yeats

I must admit that I had trouble with Yeats. The way in which he writes sometimes throws me because I think I know what is going on, when in fact Yeats may be referring to something quite different. Such was the case when I read "The Second Coming". At first glance it looks as though Yeats is discussing the second coming of Christ. Further investigation reveals that he is talking about a different epic.

Yeats uses gyre images in this poem that resemble a tornado. Events start from a single point and then spiral out. Some events can start from the same point as another event. This is how Yeats sees history evolving. He writes about the end of an era and the beginning of a new one.

In the first stanza, we see the falcon spinning out of control:
"The falcon cannot hear the falconer;/ Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;/ Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world"
I think Yeats is trying to depict the present age. Things are currently falling apart and anarchy is spreading over the world. Things are disintegrating and madness and chaos take over as this Christian era comes to an end.

Surely, Yeats believes there is presently a second coming, but he does not think it is Christ's second coming, though he provides many Christian images when he describes a new era, "a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi", and an image approaching Bethlehem to be born.

However, this is how Yeats describes the body approaching Bethlehem:
"A shape with lion body and the head of a man,/ A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,/ Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it"...
"The darkness drops again; but now I know/ That twenty centuries of stony sleep/ Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,/ And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,/ Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?"
Here we see an image of a beast, which I don't think signifies Christ. It seems as though the rough beast Yeats is describing is the birth of this new era, which may not necessarily be pleasant. This may be the opposite of the past Christian era as society is experiencing a turn into another century. I get the feeling from Yeats that he does not think this will necessarily be a grand time period. Using the image of the gyre, Yeats seems to think that all the bad characteristics that were present at the end of the last era will reemerge at the end of the next era too.

I read this poem several times and am still not sure I know exactly to what Yeats refers. His symbols seem so indirect to me. While I can understand the big picture, I am afraid I may be missing some the finer points Yeats is trying to make.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog is very interesting!
Please, send us the photo of your computer desk.
We'll publish on our blog!.
And if you want link us your blog, so we’ll publish on our.

EMAIL: pcdesktop1@gmail.com

Jay Hood said...

Yeats is a very difficult person to read, but I felt your analysis was more than adequate and that you used the quotations really well to support your ideas. Just a quick note: the image Yeats describes is that of a sphinx and the sphinx in Greek lore was a being of malevolence and ill-will.

Jonathan.Glance said...

Kelly,

Sorry your blog attracted two odd spam comments.

I enjoyed reading your attempts to come to grips with this poem. You do a good job of grounding your comments in the text. (I must confess that Yeats is difficult for me, too--of all the authors in this course he is the one I usually feel the least certain what he is doing.)

LaDonna said...

Yeats was difficult, it wasnt until after i posted on him i realized he wasnt talking about Christ's second coming.Good job with your post

Antoine Mincy said...

I also had a little trouble with yeats... but I saw it just as you where he uses biblical ideas he is not going the faith way... I think it is more of a metaphorical sense where we will destroy ourselves.