Saturday, June 23, 2007

T.S. Eliot

I found it interesting that T.S. Eliot was actually born in America, but was so influenced by British and French poets. I was very drawn to his poem "The Waste Land", but it seems so intense that I don't know if I even can begin to discuss magnitude of this poem. However, I found "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" a little more direct.
Contrary to the title, we find that this is not a love song at all. This poem shows man's modern dilemma. Prufrock is a man who feels alienated and lost in modern society. No one listens to him. He is insecure, self-conscious, and scared of the world around him. We can see Prufrock's pessimism when he describes the landscape around him:
"When the evening is spread out against the sky/ Like a patient etherised upon a table;/ Let us go, through the certain half-deserted streets,/ The muttering retreats/ Of restless nights in one-night cheap hotels/ And sawdust restaurants with oyster-shells/ Streets that follow like a tedious argument"

A few lines down Prufrock describes a "yellow fog" that covers the town. I think this is Eliot's way of saying the world is tainted. He describes the fog as being everywhere, showing this feeling of discontempt regarding the modern world. Eliot uses Prufrock to describe a modern man in the modern world. We see this man as indecisive, nervous, self-conscious, and completely lacking any self-esteem. I think this shows a certain disconnect from the world because it is too much for the man and he does not know how to assimilate. The following lines illustrate this point:
"To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?"/ With a bald spot in the middle of my hair-/ (They will say: "How his hair is growing thin!")/ My morning coat, my collar mounting firmly to the chin,/ My necktie rich and modest, but asserted by a simple pin-/ (They will say: "But how his arms and legs are thin!")"
Prufrock is scared to approach women or even walk by them because they might talk about his bald spot. Though he is completely bundled up, they might notice his thin arms and legs. Prufrock is trapped. No matter what he does, he feels as though he cannot connect to this modern world.

Eliot takes us through more lines of Prufrock's insecurity. He finally says:
"And would it have been worth it all, after all/ Would it have been worth while"
Prufrock goes back and forth wondering if he should try to become what the modern world accepts. However, he tells us in lines 108-110 that it would not be worth it because his woman would probably say wonderful things to him and then say "That is not what I meant, at all".
I think Eliot is trying to further show disconnect here. He is saying that we are missing a connection with the modern world. We don't understand each other like we should.

In the conclusion of this poem, we see that Prufrock still has no assurance. He says that he could never be Prince Hamlet, just an attendant. We still see his insecurities:
"Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach?/ I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach./ I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each./ I do not think that they will sing to me."

It seems that "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" is showing how parts of humanity are drowning. We are losing connection and becoming less in touch with reality. I think Eliot uses all of Prufrock's insecurities and idiosyncrasies to show us how not to feel alienated from the modern world.

10 comments:

Chickadeeva said...

I'm so happy you've allowed this influence into your mind. He's a writer who keeps on giving over the years.

Keep reading!

Jay Hood said...

i'm glad you managed to understand "Love Song..." but unfortunately I struggled with it. I know it is one of my sister's favorite poems and I think your analysis was very well thought out and detailed.

Jonathan.Glance said...

Kelly,

Congratulations on having reached your 20th posting!

Good one to end with, too--you present here a persuasive and insightful reading of poor Prufrock. Nicely done!

keeholl said...

I think that you did a wonderful job with interpreting of Eliot's work.

kyle mcnease said...

Kelly,

What a tremendous critique you have done here. I love how you brought out aspects of pessimism and continue to find that motif throughout. Your conclusion was quite well put! "It seems that "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" is showing how parts of humanity are drowning. We are losing connection and becoming less in touch with reality. I think Eliot uses all of Prufrock's insecurities and idiosyncrasies to show us how not to feel alienated from the modern world." I am not writing on Eliot, but if I were...I would ask Dr. Glance if this counted as an official source! Great job.

-kyle

Jeremy said...

Your analysis of this poem was really interesting. The last paragraph of analysis really nailed what I saw in the poem. I think the electronic age has caused all of us to lose our connection with our neighbors.

Jared Hall said...

Kelly,

I really enjoyed your blog on T.S. Eliot. I found your thoughts to be insightful and you did a fantastic job analyzing this work. Great blog!

mbfertig said...

I loved this blog! I really like what you said about the yellow fog because when I read this for the first time i missed that connection! Way to go on a great post!!

Unknown said...

good work with the analysis and hope I can get as much out of it as you did the second time around

Polilla said...

Best poems of T.S. Elliot